Clibit
The expansion continues. Marston's takes over all the Charles Wells owned brands and distribution rights. Apparently a new smaller brewery will be set up to provide the Charles Wells pubs. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-39959394
Quote 0 0
Robert
Clibit wrote:
The expansion continues. Marston's takes over all the Charles Wells owned brands and distribution rights. Apparently a new smaller brewery will be set up to provide the Charles Wells pubs. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-39959394

If Marstons aren't careful they will get big enough to attract attention from one of the Big 5.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Robert wrote:


If Marstons aren't careful they will get big enough to attract attention from one of the Big 5.


They already are surely? Meantime got bought out. I suspect it's less about size and more about brand names that can be exploited. I wonder if Marston's are trying to tempt a buy out?
Quote 0 0
Robert
Clibit wrote:


They already are surely? Meantime got bought out. I suspect it's less about size and more about brand names that can be exploited. I wonder if Marston's are trying to tempt a buy out?


I think Marston's is independent of the big five, I can't find anything that says that any other company owns them. They're listed on the London Stock Exchange.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Robert wrote:


I think Marston's is independent of the big five, I can't find anything that says that any other company owns them. They're listed on the London Stock Exchange.


Sorry, I meant already big enough. But still independent. 
Quote 0 0
GHW
Well we are all safe in the knowledge that even if all out favourite beers get commercialised to death we can still make them at home.
Heck maybe we will start the next rebellion.
Quote 0 0
nbpicklesno2
GHW wrote:
Heck maybe we will start the next rebellion.

There may be something in that.
Pete
Quote 0 0
Robert

Clibit wrote:


Sorry, I meant already big enough. But still independent. 

Big enough for a hostile takeover by Annheuser Busch or one of the others to be worthwhile. It's bad news for British brewing that one company has such a huge share of the cask ale business and quite a number of the best selling bottled brands.

Quote 0 0
GHW
nbpicklesno2 wrote:

There may be something in that.


Ooh gossip
You going pro?
Quote 0 0
nbpicklesno2
Not quite yet. Still looking for suitable premises. Can't believe how hard it is to find the right unit.
Pete
Quote 1 0
GHW
That's cool. What's going to be brewing?
Quote 0 0
nbpicklesno2
I'd like it to be a little different but at least some of it has to be commercial. We're also looking at a micropub to sell what's not really to the liking of the traditional pub. It's only 2.5 bbl and 25 years old but ten vessels in total. An oldie but a goody.
Pete
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Robert wrote:

Big enough for a hostile takeover by Annheuser Busch or one of the others to be worthwhile. It's bad news for British brewing that one company has such a huge share of the cask ale business and quite a number of the best selling bottled brands.



It is bad news, though the beer these breweries put out is generally mediocre. With micro breweries starting to move to keg for financial reasons, we could be heading back to a situation where there is no really good cask beer around, or very little.
Quote 0 0
Simonh82
Clibit wrote:


It is bad news, though the beer these breweries put out is generally mediocre. With micro breweries starting to move to keg for financial reasons, we could be heading back to a situation where there is no really good cask beer around, or very little.


I disagree. I think Marstons make some decent beers. I like Old Empire a lot and I'm pretty keen on Pedigree too. Wells bought out Young's a few years ago after a previous merger and they have continued to brew Young's beers very well. They took the Young's yeast with them when they moved production to Milton Keynes and I hope this isn't the end of that.

Can't say I've ever bothered much with the beers that Well's make but I would prefer a take over by Marstons than AB-In Bev et al.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Simonh82 wrote:
I disagree. I think Marstons make some decent beers. I like Old Empire a lot and I'm pretty keen on Pedigree too. Wells bought out Young's a few years ago after a previous merger and they have continued to brew Young's beers very well. They took the Young's yeast with them when they moved production to Milton Keynes and I hope this isn't the end of that. Can't say I've ever bothered much with the beers that Well's make but I would prefer a take over by Marstons than AB-In Bev et al.


Decent beers yes, but none I think are really great. Solid, not spectacular.
Quote 0 0