Colliefish Show full post »
Colliefish
Hmmmm. I may do one of them. I'm out of beer so time is of the essence. I may even keg half of each and bottle and prime the other half and do the taste test down the line.
Quote 1 0
Colliefish
Well. Just sipping a very early cloudy pint of the IPA. Not as citrusy as I was hoping and you can taste it's high abv. Hopefully it will improve with age. Got a family party tomorrow and all I have to drink is this/ the as yet untried porter or some bottles of year old cevezza and cider I found in the camper!
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Colliefish wrote:
Well. Just sipping a very early cloudy pint of the IPA. Not as citrusy as I was hoping and you can taste it's high abv. Hopefully it will improve with age. Got a family party tomorrow and all I have to drink is this/ the as yet untried porter or some bottles of year old cevezza and cider I found in the camper!


Leave it alone if you can. Time will make a big difference. 
Quote 1 0
Colliefish
I know I know.
Will probably leave it at home so I have to drink the cevezza and cider. 😜😜
Quote 1 0
Colliefish
Well here's an update on the 2 brews.
The IPA is bloody strong. 4 pints is enough.
Taste good but you can taste the alcohol which does ruin it slightly.
But still very drinkable.
The porter has loads and loads of flavour.
It's not completely to my taste but 2 friends have both really approved.

On a different note. I have found some 2 year old cevezza that I fermented with the zest and juice of 3 limes.
Drinking one now. Very limey. And not gone off. Well I may be on the bog all night but there are no off flavours or smells
Quote 1 0
Clibit
Colliefish wrote:
Well here's an update on the 2 brews. The IPA is bloody strong. 4 pints is enough. Taste good but you can taste the alcohol which does ruin it slightly. But still very drinkable. The porter has loads and loads of flavour. It's not completely to my taste but 2 friends have both really approved. On a different note. I have found some 2 year old cevezza that I fermented with the zest and juice of 3 limes. Drinking one now. Very limey. And not gone off. Well I may be on the bog all night but there are no off flavours or smells


Thanks for the update. Porter sounds good. IPA too strong, I know how that feels. Cerveza with limes - hope you get a good night's sleep.

Messing with kits can make some really good beers. Add some steeping grains and hops to a one can kit, and a bag of brew enhancer. You can make some surprisingly good beer. 
Quote 0 0
Colliefish
Hi Clibit.

I've followed your posts for a few years now. Here and on the other side.
I've messed with kits once or twice but something I need to start doing more often.
At the moment time always seems against me.
Cheers.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Colliefish wrote:
Hi Clibit. I've followed your posts for a few years now. Here and on the other side. I've messed with kits once or twice but something I need to start doing more often. At the moment time always seems against me. Cheers.


Brewing and time can be a problem. Modifying kits is the quickest route to nice home brewed beer, I reckon. You can just make a straight kit, but making some changes can make a big difference. 
Quote 1 0
Colliefish
Well final update on the IPA.
It's all gone.
It was pretty good. Not the best but not bad.
Slight twang to the end and I still think it was ruined by excess strength.
Will probably do it again but brew it long.
Quote 1 0
dbg400
Colliefish wrote:
Well final update on the IPA. It's all gone. It was pretty good. Not the best but not bad. Slight twang to the end and I still think it was ruined by excess strength. Will probably do it again but brew it long.


Try the Razorback kit from Festival (if you haven't done so already). From memory it's around 5.7% but doesn't have an alcohol burn. Contents are similar to the porter kit (I liked that one) but with a couple of packets to dry hop with. I did pretty much all the Festival kits up to the end of 2014, when I switched to all grain, and the Razorback was probably the best of them - certainly the one that got the best feedback from those I gave bottles to.
Quote 1 0
Clibit
Maybe try a mini mash with these kits. Half a kilo of pale malt in a couple of litres of water at 65-70C for 30 minutes, then remove the grain and boil the wort. Add to the FV with the kit. Noticeably improves the beer in my experience. 
Quote 0 0
Colliefish
Cheers guys. I'll give both a go.
Quote 0 0
Pinto
Clibit wrote:
Maybe try a mini mash with these kits. Half a kilo of pale malt in a couple of litres of water at 65-70C for 30 minutes, then remove the grain and boil the wort. Add to the FV with the kit. Noticeably improves the beer in my experience. 


Good advice from clibit here - the more sugars you can obtain from malt, the better the brew will turn out.  Although sugar rightfully has a place in brewing, too heavy a reliance on it (especially processed white sugars) is the fastest way to get that "twang" we all try to avoid.
Beer is like porn - you can buy it easily enough, but its so much more fun to make it [wink]
Quote 0 0