Robrewer
Basically Clibits Black Stuff recipe, I've upped it to 18ltrs on brewmate,

Pale ale malt 3.000 kgs.
Dark xtal. .255
Light xtal. .255
Wheat. .255
Black malt. , .180
Chocolate. Malt. .180

Fuggles. 45gms @ 60mins.
". ". 21. @.15mins.

Just want to use my hop harvest up.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Robrewer wrote:
Basically Clibits Black Stuff recipe, I've upped it to 18ltrs on brewmate, Pale ale malt 3.000 kgs. Dark xtal. .255 Light xtal. .255 Wheat. .255 Black malt. , .180 Chocolate. Malt. .180 Fuggles. 45gms @ 60mins. ". ". 21. @.15mins. Just want to use my hop harvest up.


Years since I made it. You like recipe as it is? You could reduce the crystal. You could reduce the dark malts. 

Yeast will make a difference. What do you use?
Quote 0 0
Robrewer
Clibit wrote:


Years since I made it. You like recipe as it is? You could reduce the crystal. You could reduce the dark malts. 

Yeast will make a difference. What do you use?


I did like it as it was, but I'm willing to try to modify it. To be honest, I've never been able to tell the difference between yeasts so stuck with Wilkos Gervin.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
If you're happy then stick with it. On the yeast front, a beer like this one won't vary too much if you use a dried English yeast I guess. But if you make paler beers I think yeast can make a big difference. My last two beers were pale ales, one used Brewlabs Black Sheep and the other used a dry US pale yeast. The difference is massive, the Brewlabs beer much better. Different gravy. 
Quote 0 0
Robrewer
Clibit wrote:
If you're happy then stick with it. On the yeast front, a beer like this one won't vary too much if you use a dried English yeast I guess. But if you make paler beers I think yeast can make a big difference. My last two beers were pale ales, one used Brewlabs Black Sheep and the other used a dry US pale yeast. The difference is massive, the Brewlabs beer much better. Different gravy. 
h

Hi, thanks! I suppose if I could split a brew and use 2 yeasts I would get a better idea? Trouble is I don't have 2 brew fridges.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Robrewer wrote:
h Hi, thanks! I suppose if I could split a brew and use 2 yeasts I would get a better idea? Trouble is I don't have 2 brew fridges.


Split brews can reveal a lot. Could you get two smaller buckets that fit in the fridge?
Quote 0 0
Robrewer
Clibit wrote:


Split brews can reveal a lot. Could you get two smaller buckets that fit in the fridge?


I've had a look and I think with a bit of effort I can get 2 small FB's in there. Looked around for the Black Sheep yeast, who sells it please? Malt Miller doesn't as he's closest.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Robrewer wrote:
I've had a look and I think with a bit of effort I can get 2 small FB's in there. Looked around for the Black Sheep yeast, who sells it please? Malt Miller doesn't as he's closest.


It comes from Brewlab. 

https://www.brewlab.co.uk/store/home-brew-yeast/s-3

You may need to call them to say you want a yeast to match the Black Sheep brewery yeast. 

Alternatively, Steve may send you a slant. This is just a tube with a yeast colony on agar. You add a bit of wort and tip it into a jar of wort and give it three days to grow. Then use that in your brew. 

Or you could just buy a similar liquid yeast from Whitelabs or Wyeast. 
Quote 1 0
Steve
Clibit wrote:


It comes from Brewlab. 

https://www.brewlab.co.uk/store/home-brew-yeast/s-3

You may need to call them to say you want a yeast to match the Black Sheep brewery yeast. 

Alternatively, Steve may send you a slant. This is just a tube with a yeast colony on agar. You add a bit of wort and tip it into a jar of wort and give it three days to grow. Then use that in your brew. 

Or you could just buy a similar liquid yeast from Whitelabs or Wyeast. 


Yeah pm me your address and I will get you it sorted within the next week, takes 3 days to culture up so the sooner you let me no the better !👍
Quote 1 0
Robrewer
Steve wrote:


Yeah pm me your address and I will get you it sorted within the next week, takes 3 days to culture up so the sooner you let me no the better !👍


Oh that would be great! Thanks! Never tried a slant only dry yeast. How do I look after it when it comes? Keep in fridge or a certain temp? I have my green hop brew conditioning in brew fridge at the mo. Can come out Wednesday. I'll need to do a pale brew then instead of the Black Stuff with my Fuggles. Would an IPA with the Fuggles be ok?
Quote 0 0
Steve
Robrewer wrote:


Oh that would be great! Thanks! Never tried a slant only dry yeast. How do I look after it when it comes? Keep in fridge or a certain temp? I have my green hop brew conditioning in brew fridge at the mo. Can come out Wednesday. I'll need to do a pale brew then instead of the Black Stuff with my Fuggles. Would an IPA with the Fuggles be ok?


As a forum supporter Rob your entitled to request any yeast from our bank 👍 I will get this sorted for you this week , I will also include a couple of different yeasts to get you started off😀, yes keep it in the fridge til your ready to use it, as for the fuggles I would keep them for a lovely English bitter, Wlp006 yeast would do them justice, I will send this out to you .


Steve.
Quote 2 0
Clibit
Thanks Steve.  [thumb]
Quote 0 0
Robrewer
Steve wrote:


As a forum supporter Rob your entitled to request any yeast from our bank 👍 I will get this sorted for you this week , I will also include a couple of different yeasts to get you started off😀, yes keep it in the fridge til your ready to use it, as for the fuggles I would keep them for a lovely English bitter, Wlp006 yeast would do them justice, I will send this out to you .


Steve.


Wow! Thankyou very much Steve, really kind of you👍 This is going to advance my brewing I reckon! Looking forward to this. Cheers all😊
Quote 1 0
Steve
Your welcome Rob, that’s what we’re here for😀
Quote 0 0