Clibit Show full post »
Steve
Clibit wrote:
Managed to get this done this afternoon, about 9 litres Pilgrim only, about 10.5 litres had an Ahtanum hop tea added, about 15g of pellet hops. Wait and see how it turns out now - it's not got big flavour but could work out to be a nice light thirst quencher. Interested to see what it's like.

One thing I noticed that I've never spotted before - I filled one clear glass bottle and I went to drop my kids at the station. About an hour later when I got back I could see quite a few bubbles rising in the clear bottle! Like it's fermenting. That's the CML US Pale yeast. Doesn't tit  about that yeast! 


IMG_20170801_163804948.jpg  [rofl]


Looking good Phil, none of the CML yeast has hung around for me, always goes off well and finishes in really good time.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Had one of these earlier tonight, Pilgrim only version, still pretty early but worth a go. Got to be brutally honest and say I'm not overly impressed with my efforts. It's not carbed up well for one thing, I went low on sugar cos I've been finding that works best for me, but not on this brew, or the other two recent brews, all using the US Pale yeast from CML. Obviously needs a bit more priming sugar. I also thin this all English version would have benefited a lot from a liquid English yeast. It's watery and flat and a bit neutral dried yeast tasting!

It could well get better with more carbonation, if time provides that, but I wish I'd either added some American hops or some English yeast, or both. I'm hoping the rest of the batch, which got an Ahtanum hop tea, has more going on. Not overly hopeful, Ahtanum is quite gentle and I didn't use loads. 
Quote 0 0
Gregles
Might have been better with the CML Real Ale yeast?
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Gregles wrote:
Might have been better with the CML Real Ale yeast?


Quite possibly, but I have none and I haven't used it. But I think I should've made a starter up. I know I can get really nice beer with some of the slanted/liquid yeasts I've used. And I've yet to find a dry English ale yeast that gets close. I don't believe there is one. 
Quote 0 0
Clibit
This hasn't improved much unfortunately. It's drinkable but I don't enjoy it like I should. It's got a bit of a beer kit taste to it, is it the yeast?

So what have I learnt?

1. Use a nice English yeast in a bitter with English hops.
2. Or add some tasty American hops for a more hybrid style. The Ahtanum hop tea helped a little but not enough.
3. I'm not sure about the CML US Pale yeast. |There's a flavour in this beer I'm not mad about, possibly from the yeast. The stout and porter seem ok with it. I guess with plenty of American hops, in an APA or IPA, it would be fine too. I'll keep some as a back up for certain styles when I don't get a starter on. I need to fully embrace the process of planning ahead and getting a starter on though. Fight the laziness. 

The beer isn't a disaster, but it's a bit like drinking the Bank's bitter from a bottle, 89p at Aldi, when I'm used to things a bit more up market!
Quote 0 0
Steve
I'm with you on this one, a good bitter is made with good yeast and to date my favourite is WLP006 it's never let me down yet.
Quote 0 0
HisDudeness
Yep my best British beers have been with liquid yeast strains, West Yorkshire ale and the WLP006 are my favourites so far. Did do a decent bitter recently with the CML real ale yeast but it doesn't add much character more like Nottingham in that sense
Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
HisDudeness wrote:
Yep my best British beers have been with liquid yeast strains, West Yorkshire ale and the WLP006 are my favourites so far. Did do a decent bitter recently with the CML real ale yeast but it doesn't add much character more like Nottingham in that sense

I emailed Steven and asked about their real ale yeast, he described it as most like Nottingham.
Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
Steve wrote:
I'm with you on this one, a good bitter is made with good yeast and to date my favourite is WLP006 it's never let me down yet.

I'm going to have to try using liquid yeast and stop being lazy.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Hops_and_Dreams wrote:
I'm going to have to try using liquid yeast and stop being lazy.


I might try the MJ Liberty Bell at some point, Dude said his golden ale made with that was good, and that he felt it's the best dried English style yeast he has tried.

"A top fermenting ale yeast suitable for a wide variety of hoppy and distinctive style beers. This strain produces light, delicate fruity esters and helps to develop malt character. Suitable for both English and American Pale Ales, Extra Special Bitters, Golden Ales and more." Attenuation: High  Flocculation: High

Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
Clibit wrote:


I might try the MJ Liberty Bell at some point, Dude said his golden ale made with that was good, and that he felt it's the best dried English style yeast he has tried.

"A top fermenting ale yeast suitable for a wide variety of hoppy and distinctive style beers. This strain produces light, delicate fruity esters and helps to develop malt character. Suitable for both English and American Pale Ales, Extra Special Bitters, Golden Ales and more." Attenuation: High  Flocculation: High


I used in in my Jester golden ale. It's quite hoppy though so may have masked the yeast. It made a good beer, but I would struggle to tell any difference from S-04 for example without tasting side by side.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Hops_and_Dreams wrote:

I used in in my Jester golden ale. It's quite hoppy though so may have masked the yeast. It made a good beer, but I would struggle to tell any difference from S-04 for example without tasting side by side.


Ok, thanks.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Haven't touched this beer for a good while. Opened a bottle of the version with an Ahtanum hop tea last night after drinking bottles of Russian, Latvian and Slovenian beers and mine was comfortably better than any of those, IMO.

The beer has improved massively. The yeast off flavour has gone, the hops flavours have come to the fore and the Ahtanum is much better than previous experience has suggested, and the carbonation is now excellent. It was under carbonated before. 

Then I opened a bottle of the Pilgrim only version and this too has improved massively, in the same way. I prefer the added Ahtanum beer, but the Pilgrim only is also very nice. My daughter approved of it, when she arrived back from the pub.

So my view of the CML US Pale yeast has changed. I wasn't happy til now, but it's produced a good beer eventually. For the price you can't argue with this yeast, but I would prefer to enjoy the beer a lot sooner. Maybe this was a one off and other batches would be good much sooner.

Anyway, it's like getting a free batch of beer. I must have about 30 bottles remaining of the two versions in total. I'll be sampling the Topaz and the Red Pine soon too, and the American Brown will be going into bottles over the next few days. If I can do a PB filler then great, a quick partial mash probably, but it's not essential. 
Quote 1 0
Hops_and_Dreams
It's quite a nice feeling when you've written off a batch and then it comes good after months have passed.
Quote 0 0