Clibit
I'm tempted to have a go at making a beer from brew enhancer. Was thinking about how a lot of mass produced beers are made from a bit of malt, or malt extract, and a load of corn or rice sugar. 

If you add some specialty grain like Carapils or crystal you are adding dextrins and malt aroma and flavour, then you can do a short boil with hops and Bob's your Dunkel!

With 1kg brew enhancer and 100g Carapils you'd get 10litres at about 1040 or 8 litres at about 1049.

Gotta be worth a go!


Quote 0 0
Pinto
You'll be making Pruno next [rofl]
Beer is like porn - you can buy it easily enough, but its so much more fun to make it
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Pinto wrote:
You'll be making Pruno next [rofl]


Maybe, if I knew what it was? 

I reckon I can make good beer with enhancer. 
Quote 0 0
Pinto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruno [rofl]
Beer is like porn - you can buy it easily enough, but its so much more fun to make it
Quote 0 0
Notlaw
I'm intrigued how this turns out. 


Quote 0 0
Clibit
Pinto wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruno [rofl]


I'm definitely going to give pruno a try. [thumb]

However, beer enhancer is half spray malt and half corn sugar, which are the exact contents of some commercial beers. Add nice hops and yeast and it's not even an experiment or a diversion from orthodox brewing. It's just an extract brew with dextrose.
Quote 0 0
Robert
Bleh!
Quote 1 0
Pinto
Clibit wrote:


I'm definitely going to give pruno a try. [thumb]

However, beer enhancer is half spray malt and half corn sugar, which are the exact contents of some commercial beers. Add nice hops and yeast and it's not even an experiment or a diversion from orthodox brewing. It's just an extract brew with dextrose.


That's true,  but I don't think even Bud would use 50% sugar [rofl] certainly an interesting experiment tho.  Perhaps a jar of H&B extract might help? 
Beer is like porn - you can buy it easily enough, but its so much more fun to make it
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Pinto wrote:


That's true,  but I don't think even Bud would use 50% sugar [rofl] certainly an interesting experiment tho.  Perhaps a jar of H&B extract might help? 


I can always add spray malt. Experiment with the sugar %. I bet the % is pretty high in Bud. You can barely taste the malt!
Quote 0 0
LarryF
Clibit wrote:


I'm definitely going to give pruno a try. [thumb]

However, beer enhancer is half spray malt and half corn sugar, which are the exact contents of some commercial beers. Add nice hops and yeast and it's not even an experiment or a diversion from orthodox brewing. It's just an extract brew with dextrose.


And that's exactly what I'm doing today with an old favourite of yours Phil. Youngs Harvest Pilsner, but with 50g of honey and 40g of a hop that's yet to be decided. I'll be bottling a Wherry first though, my last Wherry were all gushers so I've given this one a very long ferment and I'm thinking of priming with 1/4 tsp of sugar, any suggestions would be Wherry welcome (sorry I just couldn't help myself).
Quote 1 0
Robert

According to their website...

"Water, Barley malt, Rice, Yeast, Hops"

Don't give percentages but I bet they push the rice as far as they can. They don't say "rice malt" so I'm guessing popped rice. Rice has got expensive recently, so I bet they're regretting that they can hardly change the recipe now.

Quote 0 0
Notlaw
Robert wrote:

According to their website...

"Water, Barley malt, Rice, Yeast, Hops"

Don't give percentages but I bet they push the rice as far as they can. They don't say "rice malt" so I'm guessing popped rice. Rice has got expensive recently, so I bet they're regretting that they can hardly change the recipe now.



For most of it's existence, rice has been a more expensive cereal than the barley they use.  Not always, but certainly for most of it.  It's also way more expensive than the maize that other big brands like Miller use.
Quote 0 0
Robert
Notlaw wrote:


For most of it's existence, rice has been a more expensive cereal than the barley they use.  Not always, but certainly for most of it.  It's also way more expensive than the maize that other big brands like Miller use.


Do Colt 45 and Breaker still exist? As a kid I used to drink those when I could acquire them. Even then I could taste the cornflake flavour they had.
Quote 0 0
Tony1951
Clibit wrote:


I'm definitely going to give pruno a try. [thumb]

However, beer enhancer is half spray malt and half corn sugar, which are the exact contents of some commercial beers. Add nice hops and yeast and it's not even an experiment or a diversion from orthodox brewing. It's just an extract brew with dextrose.


I don't know why this would attract you. It's half sugar and I wouldn't have thought that would be the way to go. I can understand the wish to experiment, but I doubt it will measure up to your crafted ales with good ingredients. 
I am off grid until the weekend.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
I bet they use something like rice syrup, a manufactured concentrated product. 

Extract beers can be excellent quality, this is just pushing the envelope with the dextrose addition. 50% is obviously high, but maybe with a dose of carapils it will work. Maybe DME will be needed to reduce the dextrose %. 
Quote 0 0