Sign up Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
IRBrew

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 180
Reply with quote  #1 
As a fan of stouts and hoppy IPAs I've really enjoyed the few Black IPAs I've tasted. They really do taste like a combination of the two. So I'm thinking of having a go at brewing one. I've got some Black Malt and plenty of MO, so was thinking of something like 95% MO and 5% Black Malt for the grain bill. So my question is what about the hops? Any thoughts?

Cheers, Ian
0
Clibit

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 15,612
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBrew
As a fan of stouts and hoppy IPAs I've really enjoyed the few Black IPAs I've tasted. They really do taste like a combination of the two. So I'm thinking of having a go at brewing one. I've got some Black Malt and plenty of MO, so was thinking of something like 95% MO and 5% Black Malt for the grain bill. So my question is what about the hops? Any thoughts?

Cheers, Ian


Adrian's Black Ninja is a good base recipe I think, for malts and yeast, it's in the tested American recipes. Hops are personal choice, I would probably go for Centennial myself, and another hop or two. Citra maybe, Cascade, Amarillo. 
0
GHW

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,929
Reply with quote  #3 
yeah citra. Amarillo. Maybe some colombus. I think dank hops work well in a black ipa.
Your key in this type of beer is to manage the bitterness. The dark grain will bring it's own bitterness so you can actually tone back on the IBUs from the hops a bit
and never use midnight wheat, it's foul.
0
Clibit

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 15,612
Reply with quote  #4 
The Mutant Ninja Black IPA I did with a mate is nice and was like this...

30 litres
Target OG 1058  Actual OG 1055
Target FG 1011
ABV 5.8%
Target IBUs 30 - 40 
Colour 56 EBC

5.5kg Pale
400g Black
300g Crystal

15g Magnum @60
45g Sorachi @ 10
125g Sorachi Dry Hop


Sorachi is not a typical Black IPA hops though. Substitute hops mentioned above.
0
IRBrew

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 180
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks chaps. I'll put something together and post it up.

Ian
0
IRBrew

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 180
Reply with quote  #6 
OK here we go. As I've got some crystal I've added it to the recipe. 

Batch size 12L

MO 2.5kg
Crystal 215g
Black Malt 150g
 
Hops:
Magnum 15g 60min
Sorachi Ace 15g 10min
Sorachi Ace 85g Dry Hop

OG 1.053
FG 1.013
ABV 5.2

40.5 IBU

I've got some Admiral that I could sub for the Magnum. Thoughts?
0
Clibit

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 15,612
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBrew
OK here we go. As I've got some crystal I've added it to the recipe. 

Batch size 12L

MO 2.5kg
Crystal 215g
Black Malt 150g
 
Hops:
Magnum 15g 60min
Sorachi Ace 15g 10min
Sorachi Ace 85g Dry Hop

OG 1.053
FG 1.013
ABV 5.2

40.5 IBU

I've got some Admiral that I could sub for the Magnum. Thoughts?



Don't use Sorachi Ace if you want a typical black IPA, it's very different.

Cut the IBUs to about 30.

You can use alternatives to black malt. Carafa Special is popular in Black IPAs. The idea is that the dark malt just provides the colour, and the carafa is meant to be lower flavour, but I have found black malt works fine. Roast barley may well be fine too. I've use roasted wheat successfully, and roasted rye.


0
IRBrew

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 180
Reply with quote  #8 
I'm using black malt because I have it. I thought I'd give the Sorachi Ace a go as that was what was used in Adrian's Black Ninja, which seems to be rated and I'm always interested in trying some new hops. However I'm open to all suggestions. Why cut the IBUs to 30? That seems low for a hoppy IPA? 
0
Clibit

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 15,612
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBrew
I'm using black malt because I have it. I thought I'd give the Sorachi Ace a go as that was what was used in Adrian's Black Ninja, which seems to be rated and I'm always interested in trying some new hops. However I'm open to all suggestions. Why cut the IBUs to 30? That seems low for a hoppy IPA? 


The Black Ninja is really good. Just not like a regular Black IPA, more like a porter, I think, though the yeast makes it less heavy than a porter. I think Centennial/Citra/Amarillo/Cascade are good options if you want to go more BLACK IPA-like.

With the roast malt flavour I don't think you need high IBUs, as GHW said above, but tbh I would like it at 30 or 40, I reckon.
0
IRBrew

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 180
Reply with quote  #10 
OK how about 

Admiral 10g 60m
Cascade 20g 10m
Cascade 80g Dry hop
0
Clibit

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 15,612
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBrew
OK how about 

Admiral 10g 60m
Cascade 20g 10m
Cascade 80g Dry hop


Yes if the IBUs work out - but I would still recommend doing the Sorachi version at some point too! 
0
GHW

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,929
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBrew
OK how about 

Admiral 10g 60m
Cascade 20g 10m
Cascade 80g Dry hop


That would work
You could use the cascade all the way through too (ie for bittering as well)
0
Hops_and_Dreams

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 2,961
Reply with quote  #13 
Amarillo works great in a black IPA, in fact the best one I made was Amarillo and Citra.
0
Clibit

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 15,612
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops_and_Dreams
Amarillo works great in a black IPA, in fact the best one I made was Amarillo and Citra.


Amarillo and Citra is a brilliant combination full stop. [thumb]
0
GHW

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,929
Reply with quote  #15 
My last one was colombus, azzacca and atahnum
Would have been lovely other than the midnight wheat!
It had dank from the colombus then layers of berry fruit over the top, with a touch of roast
Then the cloying bitterness of the midnight wheat ruined it on the aftertaste
Like the stuff for biting your fingernails
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.