Steve
Today's brew is a Styrian Wolf IPA, hops supplied by the CML guy's

Malts

 (3.85 kg)  pale ale malt 

 (340 g) Carapils malt 
 (1.1 kg) Vienna malt 
 (170 g) Caramunich malt

Hops

 (21 g) Magnum  at 60 minutes 
 (30 g) Styrian Wolf at 20 minutes 
 (30 g) Styrian Wolf at 5 minutes 
 (30 g) Styrian Wolf  at Flameout 

Yeast 

Denny's 50.
Quote 1 0
GHW
Not tried them steve, what are they like?

I'm using the Denny's yeast on a few upcoming brews too.
Quote 1 0
Steve
GHW wrote:
Not tried them steve, what are they like?

I'm using the Denny's yeast on a few upcoming brews too.


Not used them myself yet, mash is on, I asked Steven at cml if he had any galaxy yet and he didn’t but said these are reall fruity and make a good IPA
Quote 0 0
Fermented Culture
I tried some of the slovenian hops in 1 gallon test batches but the brews weren't great, I let too much trub in and left them for too long. They produced a slight star anise flavour from the yeast with some and hazelnut with the others.

My earlier notes were smooth, pungent, orange pith, red berries, floral, jam, cream, sweet. Now this brew is also quite old but with that said I can taste: slight mango, slight pith (probably due to hopping rate), citrus (not like cardamom), orange (not like coriander), slight anise, slight violet, slight drying menthol, maybe a background of berries (not raspberry), background of thyme, toffee. I don't really pick up bananas, melon, ginger, pineapple, passionfruit like in their product description. In summary - fruity citrus upfront, mango, berries and flowers behind, finishing with slightly herby notes, menthol + thyme.

Looking forward to comparing notes!

edit, due to the headspace this brew was probably a bit oxidised also, hence the toffee flavour. I think there is a subtle backbone of thyme in this hop and a slight edge of grapefruit also.
Quote 1 0
GHW
Fermented Culture wrote:
I tried some of the slovenian hops in 1 gallon test batches but the brews weren't great, I let too much trub in and left them for too long. They produced a slight star anise flavour from the yeast with some and hazelnut with the others.

My earlier notes were smooth, pungent, orange pith, red berries, floral, jam, cream, sweet. Now this brew is also quite old but with that said I can taste: slight mango, slight pith (probably due to hopping rate), citrus (not like cardamom), orange (not like coriander), slight anise, slight violet, slight drying menthol, maybe a background of berries (not raspberry), background of thyme, toffee. I don't really pick up bananas, melon, ginger, pineapple, passionfruit like in their product description. In summary - fruity citrus upfront, mango, berries and flowers behind, finishing with slightly herby notes, menthol + thyme.

Looking forward to comparing notes!


I doubt you will get notes like that off steve...
Quote 0 0
Steve
GHW wrote:


I doubt you will get notes like that off steve...


Cheeky 😂 probably more like yeah it’s a good pint or that was shit 👍
Quote 1 0
Steve
Well this turned out to be a 3 hr mash #sleep, just coming to the boil now so in goes the Magnum, the Styrian hops are all measured out ready for there additions.

aa.JPG
Quote 1 0