Clibit
Clone recipe to make 21 litres with 80% brewing efficiency. You may want to lower the OG to reduce the strength (just reduce the pale malt), if you do then lower the IBUs to keep them similar to the OG by reducing the 60 minute addition. The commercial beer is about 1064 and 65 IBUs:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
American Amber Ale

21.0
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.014 
ABV: 6.64 %
Colour (SRM): 10.7 (EBC): 21.1
IBU: 65 
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80

5.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (92.59%)
0.400 kg Crystal 145 EBC (7.41%)

30.0 g Chinook Pellet (13.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
14.0 g Chinook Pellet (13.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
14.0 g Cascade Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) 
14.0 g Centennial Pellet (10% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) 
14.0 g Cascade Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) 
14.0 g Centennial Pellet (10% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.

Yeast: WLP001 / Wyeast 1056 / Safale US-05

 
Quote 0 0
GHW
I'm on the fence with chinook. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it.
It's going in your san diego red at some point soon, if I'm not keen then that's the end of the chinook road for me!
Not used it for bittering mind
Quote 0 0
Clibit
GHW wrote:
I'm on the fence with chinook. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it.
It's going in your san diego red at some point soon, if I'm not keen then that's the end of the chinook road for me!
Not used it for bittering mind


It's a good bittering hop IMO, strong and distinctive. You could always replace it though, There's a variety of US hops that work well in a red ale. Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo are all very strong non-controversial contenders. Simcoe, if you like it, and Nugget. Those are the hops I would personally favour in this style now, I think. And for bittering, whatever you like I guess. If you are not sure about Chinook, you could just use it for bittering. But my first batch of San Diego was fantastic, I wouldn't have changed a thing. My son kept nicking bottles. 
Quote 0 0
Steve
Clibit wrote:
Clone recipe to make 21 litres with 80% brewing efficiency. You may want to lower the OG to reduce the strength (just reduce the pale malt), if you do then lower the IBUs to keep them similar to the OG by reducing the 60 minute addition. The commercial beer is about 1064 and 65 IBUs:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
American Amber Ale

21.0
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.014 
ABV: 6.64 %
Colour (SRM): 10.7 (EBC): 21.1
IBU: 65 
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80

5.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (92.59%)
0.400 kg Crystal 145 EBC (7.41%)

30.0 g Chinook Pellet (13.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
14.0 g Chinook Pellet (13.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
14.0 g Cascade Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) 
14.0 g Centennial Pellet (10% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) 
14.0 g Cascade Pellet (6% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) 
14.0 g Centennial Pellet (10% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Mash at 67°C for 60 Minutes.

Yeast: WLP001 / Wyeast 1056 / Safale US-05

 


This has my name all over it, i was struggling to think of what to brew tomorrow, problem solved, cheers Phil.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Steve wrote:


This has my name all over it, i was struggling to think of what to brew tomorrow, problem solved, cheers Phil.


I think this will become a staple recipe for me, I love these type of beers, can always change the crystal, or the hops, or the yeast. Use whatever you've got. It's also quite similar to the SNPA recipe, but with higher ABV and IBUs. A good basis to test out crystal malts, hops and yeasts. I'm likely to go more for the SNPA ABV level!
Quote 0 0
GHW
Clibit wrote:


It's a good bittering hop IMO, strong and distinctive. You could always replace it though, There's a variety of US hops that work well in a red ale. Cascade, Centennial and Amarillo are all very strong non-controversial contenders. Simcoe, if you like it, and Nugget. Those are the hops I would personally favour in this style now, I think. And for bittering, whatever you like I guess. If you are not sure about Chinook, you could just use it for bittering. But my first batch of San Diego was fantastic, I wouldn't have changed a thing. My son kept nicking bottles. 


I think I'm doing it as per your original though can't recall whether I changed anything. There's a lot I can't recall these days.

I suspect my taste/distaste for chinook depends on what I have drunk before it. It's very distinctive and I think as a first pint it goes down well, but after any other beer, a chinook hopped ale just tastes strange
Quote 0 0
Steve
Clibit wrote:


I think this will become a staple recipe for me, I love these type of beers, can always change the crystal, or the hops, or the yeast. Use whatever you've got. It's also quite similar to the SNPA recipe, but with higher ABV and IBUs. A good basis to test out crystal malts, hops and yeasts. I'm likely to go more for the SNPA ABV level!


Might try this with the Wyeast Yorkshire yeast, need to get it slanted anyway.
Quote 0 0