Clibit
Found this page that someone who has tried lots of white labs and Wyeast has done...


https://kevsbeer.weebly.com/yeast-strain-guide.html
Quote 1 0
Steve
Nice and simple description's, good find [thumb]
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Steve wrote:
Nice and simple description's, good find [thumb]


He wasn't blown away with 006. He also says 004 is too fruity, which I wouldn't expect, maybe one to try. Irish ale. 
Quote 0 0
Steve
Clibit wrote:


He wasn't blown away with 006. He also says 004 is too fruity, which I wouldn't expect, maybe one to try. Irish ale. 


I have tried the Irish ale and was not impressed if i remember right, long time ago.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Steve wrote:


I have tried the Irish ale and was not impressed if i remember right, long time ago.


Different tastes, but also we brew different beers at different temperatures. So we experience yeasts differently. Good to see others opinions though. 
Quote 1 0
Steve
Yeah Irish ale yeast is in the bank.
Quote 1 0
Hops_and_Dreams
Thanks, was an interesting read. Suppose everyone's tastes are different. Wasn't too complimentary about the popular 1469. Has made me want to try 1968 though and put me off WLP023 a bit.
Quote 0 0
Steve
Hops_and_Dreams wrote:
Thanks, was an interesting read. Suppose everyone's tastes are different. Wasn't too complimentary about the popular 1469. Has made me want to try 1968 though and put me off WLP023 a bit.


WLP023 is the Burton yeast is it not? i have also used this and tbh it was not my thing, personal taste again though!
Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
Steve wrote:


WLP023 is the Burton yeast is it not? i have also used this and tbh it was not my thing, personal taste again though!

That's the one. I'll probably leave it then, there's loads of others I want to try anyway.
Quote 0 0
GHW
I was going to get wlp006 for my bitter and redo of the zephyr but everywhere was sold out of it., went for the Wyeast 1318 instead.
Might give the San Diego super yeast a go at some point. See how quickly I can get a beer from grain to glass. Use that and force carb a keg I reckon you could do it in a week!
Quote 0 0
Clibit
GHW wrote:
I was going to get wlp006 for my bitter and redo of the zephyr but everywhere was sold out of it., went for the Wyeast 1318 instead. Might give the San Diego super yeast a go at some point. See how quickly I can get a beer from grain to glass. Use that and force carb a keg I reckon you could do it in a week!


I knew a guy who set up a craft brewery who trialled a few yeast including San Diego Super. He wasn't that impressed. He settled on Wyeast 1968. Fast turn around. And you can get different results with different fermentation temperatures. 
Quote 0 0
GHW
Those sound like very different yeasts so perhaps the San Diego just wasn't suited to his goals. It's all horses for courses and our own subjective tastes anyway.
I do like the sound of the 1968, but for some reason I have it in my head it's a pernickety one?
Quote 0 0
Clibit
GHW wrote:
Those sound like very different yeasts so perhaps the San Diego just wasn't suited to his goals. It's all horses for courses and our own subjective tastes anyway. I do like the sound of the 1968, but for some reason I have it in my head it's a pernickety one?


Not that I know of. Not especially anyway.  I agree that it's all horses for courses, and subjective tastes. [thumb]
Quote 0 0
Clibit
This chap likes the following English style yeasts the best it seems...

WLP041 (Pacific Ale),
WLP013 (White Shield)
WLP017 (Whitbread II)
1318 (Young's)
1968 (Fuller's)
1099 (Whitbread II) 
1272 (American ale II)
Quote 0 0