Clibit
Just saw this on AHA website...

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/danado-de-bom-oatmeal-stout-damn-good-oatmeal-stout/

It's a Charlie Papazian recipe. Good one for the longer nights perhaps.

"This version has a smooth, velvety texture and a creamy brown head. When you put this one up to your nose, you’ll get a light cocoa and coffee flavor with subtle enhancement of aroma hops. Just over 4% alcohol by volume, this beer is truly for all seasons and surprisingly refreshing, even in the warmth of summer.

Danado de Bom Oatmeal Stout (Damn Good Oatmeal Stout) 

  • For 23 L
  • 7 lb. (3.2 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
  • 1 lb. (454 g) English crystal 15°L
  • 8 oz. (225 g) Belgian aromatic malt
  • 12 oz. (340 g) roasted barley
  • 8 oz. (225 g) black malt
  • 8 oz. (225 g) chocolate malt
  • 12 oz. (340 g) rolled oats
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) UK Challenger hops, 5.8% a.a. (60 min.)
  • 1 oz. (28 g) UK Kent Goldings hops, 6.3% a.a. (10 min.)
  • 0.5 oz. (14 g) Crystal hop pellets, 5.5.% a.a. (dry hop)
  • 1 tsp. gypsum
  • 0.25 tsp. (1 g) powdered Irish moss
  • Cry Havoc yeast or English-style ale yeast
  • 0.75 cup (175 mL) corn sugar

SPECIFICATIONS

  • Original Gravity: 1.048
  • Final Gravity: 1.016
  • ABV: 4.2%
  • IBU: 34
  • SRM: 45
Quote 1 0
HisDudeness
That does look tasty, I'd fancy trying that especially as my first oatmeal stout was a bit of a disaster brew. Not had great success with dark beers recently to be honest last porter I did was also shïte [mad]
Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
This does look good. My first and only attempt at an oatmeal stout decided to stop at 1.020 something, then started again after bottling. This resulted in much foaming if I tried to pour one, even cold, so gave up and poured them all down the sink.

Love them though, so must try again soon.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Hops_and_Dreams wrote:
This does look good. My first and only attempt at an oatmeal stout decided to stop at 1.020 something, then started again after bottling. This resulted in much foaming if I tried to pour one, even cold, so gave up and poured them all down the sink. Love them though, so must try again soon.


Maybe use the most reliable yeast you know, and get it going before you pitch it. 
Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
Clibit wrote:


Maybe use the most reliable yeast you know, and get it going before you pitch it. 

Think I used S-04 last time. Probably make a dry stout next (as I've already bought the bits), so will use GV-12 or something that attenuates well.
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Hops_and_Dreams wrote:
Think I used S-04 last time. Probably make a dry stout next (as I've already bought the bits), so will use GV-12 or something that attenuates well.


US05 can go well in a stout. Good attenuation. Gervin too, but I seem to like US05 beers earlier than Gervin beers. Ready to drink sooner. Gervin dark beers improve a lot after a few weeks I think. Three months even.
Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
Clibit wrote:


US05 can go well in a stout. Good attenuation. Gervin too, but I seem to like US05 beers earlier than Gervin beers. Ready to drink sooner. Gervin dark beers improve a lot after a few weeks I think. Three months even.

Not tried US-05 in a stout, but its a good shout and already have some. Used GV-12 in my milk stout and that turned out pretty well. Also have MJ New World Strong Ale in the fridge which I reckon would do well in a dry stout.

Apologies for hijacking the thread! Are you going to make the oatmeal stout?
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Hops_and_Dreams wrote:
Not tried US-05 in a stout, but its a good shout and already have some. Used GV-12 in my milk stout and that turned out pretty well. Also have MJ New World Strong Ale in the fridge which I reckon would do well in a dry stout. Apologies for hijacking the thread! Are you going to make the oatmeal stout?


It's on my list! 

I've not used the New World yeast, but from descriptions it sounds suitable. 
Quote 0 0
Hops_and_Dreams
Clibit wrote:


It's on my list! 

I've not used the New World yeast, but from descriptions it sounds suitable. 

Yes, the ever growing 'to brew' list. A bit like the home brewer's waistline.
Quote 2 0
Pinto
Oatmeal stouts are fab [biggrin] - There are only a few bottles of my last brew left now, some of which I've promised to people so its on my list to brew again soon as well [smile]
Beer is like porn - you can buy it easily enough, but its so much more fun to make it [wink]
Quote 0 0