Mosh86

Evening all. Apologies if I’m wrong section!
Recently bought a mangrove jacks craft series kit helles lager. Started it yesterday. I heard the brew bubbling away nicely this morning. Went in the cupboard to check it this evening and I seam to have over spill on the lid. It looked like it has came thru the airlock as it covered in a sticky residue now. I think the airlock was empty so I’ve topped it up the now. 

I’m just worried that the brew is now knackered.? Not sure what happened here. Would hate to have to throw it away. I followed the guide exactly and done everything the same and the two previous brews! Any help would be appreciated!  Cheers  344BDC56-0629-47B7-A505-A1446BC93836.jpeg 

Quote 0 0
EspeciallyBitter
Looks like a very healthy fermentation to me. It definitely does not mean your brew is ruined. Did you clean the airlock thoroughly before refilling it?

It's probably done it's thing now, but if you're worried the fermentation is still very vigorous and likely to overflow again, you can attach a blowoff tube in place of the airlock. Take a clean and sanitised length of vinyl tube and fit one end onto the airlock hole (should be snug so it's airtight). Put the other end into a jug or other small container that is full of sanitising solution. The end should be fully submerged in the solution. You may need to change the solution every day or other day if it gets full of yeast and trub.
Quote 1 0
Mosh86
Hi, Thanks for the reply.
 Yes the air lock was cleaned out soaked in sanitiser and rinsed out before use.
Thank god that it seams to be healthy. It did seam to be releasing air quite vigorously last time I checked so I'll keep a close eye on it the now and will do what you've suggested if it happens again! Many thanks!
Quote 0 0
GHW
First time I had this happen it was like the last episode of Blake’s seven where alien goo was seeping into every part of their spaceship

as much as I frantically mopped up more kept climbing out
Quote 1 0
Mosh86
GHW wrote:
First time I had this happen it was like the last episode of Blake’s seven where alien goo was seeping into every part of their spaceship

as much as I frantically mopped up more kept climbing out

LOL! I can just imagine that! Thankfully I was a bit more lucky!
Quote 1 0
Stenno
I’ma complete noob but isn’t that too little headspace in the bucket for the yeast? I’ve only done two brews and both have blown out the liquid within the airlock but luckily I’m only doing ten litre batches in a 17.5 litre bucket (or thereabouts) so no overspill of the actual beer.
Quote 1 0
EspeciallyBitter
Mosh86 wrote:
Hi, Thanks for the reply.
 Yes the air lock was cleaned out soaked in sanitiser and rinsed out before use.
Thank god that it seams to be healthy. It did seam to be releasing air quite vigorously last time I checked so I'll keep a close eye on it the now and will do what you've suggested if it happens again! Many thanks!

You should be fine, sounds like no harm done and it's barreling along nicely. (eh, geddit?) Despite the mess it causes, I find it quite satisfying to see the yeast climb out of the fermenting vessel. It's only happened to me a few times, I think both times with a Belgian yeast. But many other strains form an impressive yeast head and will ooze over the top if there's not enough head space.

Try to preempt the need for a blowoff tube if you think it's going to happen again. When the yeast top forces sanitiser out of the airlock and then gunks it up there's a risk something will be pulled into the beer when it subsides. Maybe not a huge risk, but it also saves you having to check the airlock every few hours.
Quote 1 0
Pinto

Stenno wrote:
I’ma complete noob but isn’t that too little headspace in the bucket for the yeast? I’ve only done two brews and both have blown out the liquid within the airlock but luckily I’m only doing ten litre batches in a 17.5 litre bucket (or thereabouts) so no overspill of the actual beer.


Yeah, from what I can see in the OPs picture, he was flying a little close to the wind with that amount of headspace, but its a learning experience 🙂

 

As others have said, the beer will be fine - you did the right things

Beer is like porn - you can buy it easily enough, but its so much more fun to make it [wink]
Quote 0 0
Mosh86
I’ll leave a bit more headspace next time. Two previous batch’s were filled up to the 23l mark and didn’t have a problem but I’m guessing that, Because they were just basic lager kits and this one is a helles. The fermentation is a bit more aggressive.
First batch that I have done that requires you to add dry hopps after about seven days!
Quote 1 0