Well I went for it.
This time I decided to try Clibit's 30 minute mash, 30 minute boil.
I won't have results to offer for a few weeks, ( I don't believe the method includes a thirty minute ferment and bottle - if only... ) but I will post my progress - as it progresses, progressively.
At the risk of being declared a heretic for my uncouth and wayward use of ingredients and methods here is what I have done so far:
I had a look at my hops, low Acidity [3.5-4%], so I banged in a bit extra to compensate in the 30 minute boil.
Here's my ingredients list [I'm making a 1 gallon demijohn brew]:
850g Maris Otter [the base for my ale]
50g Crystal Malt [for body, colour and head I believe]
5g Black Malt [for a little colour and because I can]
30g Torrified wheat [to see what happens]
13g Goldings [only 4% Alpha so upped the amount from 7g, my last brews have been very light in the hop department]
8g Goldings [no need to up the quantity, i don't think, probably enough here for aroma and flavour]
3g Wilko English Ale yeast
My method is not completely conventional but is very convenient.
I have two lidded steel pots. One is a 12L and is my sparger, boiler and primary fermenter. One is about 5L and acts as my mash tun.
I fit my mash bag to the 5L and put in a thermometer.
Now I fill and boil a standard domestic kettle as needed.
With a 1L pyrex jug I measure 3L of hot water from the kettle into the 5L pot.
I adjust with cold water if necessary so my water in the pot steadies at about 75°C.
I then begin to add the grain, stirring it in as I go and making sure it is well wetted and no dry clumps are forming.
I check the temperature when all the grain is in [it is somewhere between 65-70°C]. Now I slap the lid on wrap it up in some insulation [a duvet] and leave it for thirty minutes.
I weigh out 13g of hops and put them in a bag that has a long string on it so a can fish it out easily and a piece of slate in it to weigh it down in the wort.
When the thirty minute mash is almost done I add 3.5L of hot water from my domestic kettle to my 12L pot adjusting as necessary so its temperature is 77-80°C.
Now I lift the grain bag out of the 5L pot and into the water in the 12L pot. I give it a good stir then put lids on both pots. After waiting for 15 minutes and another stir I lift the grain bag and gently squeeze out the 'spargings' from the grain.
I dispose of the grain and tip the wort in the 5L pot into the 12L pot.
Now I put my disconnected chilling coil into the wort with the hop bag and heat up the whole lot on the stove top.
When the whole thing comes to a boil I start the clock and after 15 minutes throw in a ¼ tab of whirlfloc giving it a stir. After another ten minutes I pull out the hop bag throw 8g hops into it and get it back into the boil.
Five minutes later the boil is over and the heat turned off.
The chilling coil is now connected to cold water and run until the temperature gets down to room temp.
Once cooling is done the coil and hop bag are taken out of the pot.
After checking the temperature [17-20°C] a reading of specific gravity is taken for OG. Yeast is scattered on the surface of the wort and the pot is lidded and its air hole covered. The whole thing is covered with a bin bag to keep out light and nasties.
After a couple of days the ferment is syphoned from its lees into a demijohn and an airlock fitted. It should be ready to prime and bottle after 12-14 days.
Does this produce beer?
You might well ask.
Does this produce good beer?
I can't say. All I can say is that I was following orders, more or less.
It couldn't possibly be my fault!! Blame someone else!!
I am totally irresponsible, but I will report back later when results are available.
I know, I know, they all say that.
After having once been attacked by an extremely aggressive krausen I decided it was better to let things settle for a day or so before transferring the wort into the confines of a demijohn. After all the yeast rapidly covers and insulates itself in a 'blanket' of CO2, in the boil vessel/first ferment vessel, where it is quite safe. I just need to take care not to aerate the wort when it is siphoned into the demijohn.
Apologies for the lack of pictures, I will document more completely when I am more confident in my method.