Pesho77
 do you just throw it in the boil kettle or do you soak it first in beer / water then add it to the boiling beer ?

 has any one tried both methods ?  what were the differences if any ?

 Pesh
Quote 0 0
Clibit
Pesho77 wrote:
 do you just throw it in the boil kettle or do you soak it first in beer / water then add it to the boiling beer ?

 has any one tried both methods ?  what were the differences if any ?

 Pesh


I've only ever chucked it in the boil kettle and it's the only method I've ever come across.
Quote 0 0
Pesho77
Ive only came across the soak method once, and there was no detail to it like times and temps, carrageenan isn't that different to gelatine as far as I know, and gelatine needs soaked and activated by temperature so why wouldn't Irish moss ? but some say last 10 mins so it has chance to work other say this is too long and it denatures, so I'm wondering if any ones done any trials with it.

 Pesh
Quote 0 0
GHW
I usually just chuck it in with the late hop additions
Never really given it much more thought TBH!
Not really a hassle to soak it though if that's going to make it more effective.
Quote 0 0
Pinto

GHW wrote:
I usually just chuck it in with the late hop additions


This [smile] good tip !

 

I was always forgetting the finings addition, until someone suggested chucking a tsp in with the 15 min hops.  Since then, I've not forgotten.

 

Always strainght in,  never bothered pre-soaking.

Beer is like porn - you can buy it easily enough, but its so much more fun to make it [wink]
Quote 0 0
GHW
Pinto wrote:



This [smile] good tip !

 

I was always forgetting the finings addition, until someone suggested chucking a tsp in with the 15 min hops.  Since then, I've not forgotten.

 

Always strainght in,  never bothered pre-soaking.



Exactly, I add them when weighing out.
Just got to remember that today's roggenbier won't actually need any finings...
Quote 0 0
Clibit
GHW wrote:
Exactly, I add them when weighing out. Just got to remember that today's roggenbier won't actually need any finings...


Happy Roggenbier day. Enjoy. 
Quote 0 0
Fermented Culture
I rehydrate at 15 minutes and put them in at 10 minutes.
Quote 0 0
Pesho77
do you do a cold rehydration in water ?

and have you noticed any difference in hydrated or not hydrated methods ?
 Pesh
Quote 0 0
Fermented Culture
Yes I use cold water. Honestly, I haven't paid attention and I don't have the correct labware to measure the differences. If I forget then I put it in dry but I usually rehydrate it with other additions, although it definitely blooms. I think it'd make sense that it'd dissolve easier but grinding it might be more effective. Whether or not this has a difference versus something like putting it in earlier I don't know.
Quote 0 0
Pesho77
this could be worth a test, ill look in to it soon.

 Pesh
Quote 0 0