bigmack Show full post »
bigmack
Oops. That's a predictive text fail right there.
Quote 0 0
GHW
Don’t worry thanks Mack. I’m pretty sure YouTube would sort me out if I was determined enough. Maybe a project for later in sept when I get brewing again! Thanks tho.
Quote 0 0
bigmack
So here's the oatmeal brown. Now that it's on the Nitro the aroma has changed and my perception of the potential off flavours from the yeast has changed. It's not nearly so unpleasant and the flavour from the malt and smoothness of the oats and nitro has given it a nice slick feel.

Might manage to sup this one after all -especially given its 3.6% ABV!

IMG_20200823_140804.jpg 
Quote 1 0
bigmack
Here's the recipe.

IMG_20200823_141559.jpg 
Quote 0 0
EspeciallyBitter
It's a nice example of how serving method can really influence how you perceive a beer.

I might try something like this with WLP066. Mine will end up bottled, of course, but I think your recipe would be nice with the Mann's yeast (allegedly).
Quote 0 0
bigmack
Yup, I think that would be a winner too. It's been fun having a couple of these this evening with the missus. I thought it could have been a bit sweeter, she thinks it's very sweet! She describes as milky, which I can only assume is the oats as there is no lactose in this. The roast is very smooth and the colour in a full pint is a kind of rich mahogany. 

On reflection, it's maybe not sweetness that's lacking, more that this beer would serve as a good base for other things. I could see a vanilla bean or bit it liquorice root in there for example. Maybe another week or two will iron out the flavours further, but I expect the keg won't last too long (the ABV lends itself to more than one!).
Quote 0 0
Tigermoth
bigmack wrote:
Yup, I think that would be a winner too. It's been fun having a couple of these this evening with the missus. I thought it could have been a bit sweeter, she thinks it's very sweet! She describes as milky, which I can only assume is the oats as there is no lactose in this. The roast is very smooth and the colour in a full pint is a kind of rich mahogany. 

On reflection, it's maybe not sweetness that's lacking, more that this beer would serve as a good base for other things. I could see a vanilla bean or bit it liquorice root in there for example. Maybe another week or two will iron out the flavours further, but I expect the keg won't last too long (the ABV lends itself to more than one!).


That looks like a really nice beer BigM, a lovely colour and great head retention and sounds like it has gone down well. At 3.6 ABV would make a very nice session ale I would think.
[wave]
Quote 0 0
bigmack
Righto, Christmas 2020 brew at stage 1. Pitched it onto the lager yeast slurry from my BoPils batch. Tried out my new Venturi. Pleased with results and hope this will up the O2 content of the pitch.

IMG_20200825_185509.jpg IMG_20200825_213335.jpg 
Quote 1 0
bigmack
Fermentation is off like the clappers at 11 hours from pitch when I checked this morning. This might be done by Sunday and ready for conditioning. Planning the addition of the maple at the tail end of fermentation and the pecans and coffee during the cold conditioning.
Quote 0 0
GHW
How are you using the pecans?
Quote 0 0
bigmack
I'll roast them until golden, then lightly crush/ break up before putting them in a stainless steel filter tube along with the coffee and drop the whole thing in at 3-4c.

Should serve to sanitise at the same time as bringing out the flavours. I'll be getting the coffee fresh from a local roaster.
Quote 1 0
bigmack
I was planning on brewing at the weekend, but that didn't happen so on it tonight instead.

Using my centennial wet hops. Had planned a Belgian Dubbel but when I realised the quantity of the fresh hops I changed over to a bitter instead.

Not a style I'm very familiar with but giving it a go. Had some London ESB yeast in the fridge. Hope for a good autumn beer.
Quote 0 0
Tigermoth
bigmack wrote:
I was planning on brewing at the weekend, but that didn't happen so on it tonight instead.

Using my centennial wet hops. Had planned a Belgian Dubbel but when I realised the quantity of the fresh hops I changed over to a bitter instead.

Not a style I'm very familiar with but giving it a go. Had some London ESB yeast in the fridge. Hope for a good autumn beer.


Hopefully it will be nice and fruity and malty with a nice darkish glow to it BM.
[wave]
Quote 0 0
bigmack
Tigermoth wrote:


Hopefully it will be nice and fruity and malty with a nice darkish glow to it BM.


Thanks TM, it might be very fruity indeed as I switched the yeast out for Hornindal Kviek! I had a jar I'd harvested from a previous batch so have pitched it instead.

In practical terms, it saved about 30 minutes off my brew day as I didn't have to chill the yeast to 16c and I pitched at 32c instead!
Quote 1 0
Tigermoth
bigmack wrote:


Thanks TM, it might be very fruity indeed as I switched the yeast out for Hornindal Kviek! I had a jar I'd harvested from a previous batch so have pitched it instead.

In practical terms, it saved about 30 minutes off my brew day as I didn't have to chill the yeast to 16c and I pitched at 32c instead!


I think Alco' will be interested in this too as he was going to use a Hornindal yeast later on. ðŸ‘
[wave]
Quote 0 0